The Big Day
Let’s face it. We live in a capitalist paradise. One of our main ways to say, “I’m awesome,” is to show off our purchases. We are what we buy. In the case of the Pushies show ‘n’ shine, we also are what we hoard, restore and obsess over.
The show ‘n’ shine is one of my favourite parts of Pushies. There is something simple and lovely about someone standing next to their bike with a big grin on their face.
Here’s some of the show ‘n’ shiners from last year. These excellent photos were taken by Andy White.
The categories are the same as last year, with one glaring addition. Due to popular demand, we’ve put in a knobbly tyres category. Vintage mountain bikes, cyclocross bikes, 29ers and the like represent.
- BMX Vintage – 1970 to 1980.
- BMX Old School – 1980 to 1986.
- BMX Mid School– 1987 to 1996.
- Cruiser/Rat/Dragster – Ape hangers? Banana seat? Sissy bar? This one’s for you.
- Kids – Decorate your bike. Express yourself!
- Ladies – Step throughs, mixtes, basket bikes and the like.
- Track – Track, not tarck, bikes.
- Road – Steel, carbon, aluminum. Just give it drops and gears.
- Knobbly Tyres– Mountain bikes, cyclocross bikes. Yes, we heeded your calls.
- Cargo/Utility – Commuters, porteurs, townies, rack bikes. Anything designed to get you from A to B while carrying a load.
- Antique – Anything pre-1920
- Vintage – The old stuff post-1920
- Made in BNE – Fine examples of local handiwork. Old and new. From Llewellyns to Tom Wallace Specials.
Entry is $2 per bike. Arrive at 9:30am to get registered and get your bike on to the green. For your troubles, we’ll look after your bike all day, and you get a lovely portrait taken of you and each bike upon entry.